DXA identifies only 15% of persons with increased Fracture Risk. Are you in the other 85%? To find out, you should get a Complete Bone Health Evaluation. And that is…….
First and foremost, it is an entire office visit devoted to bone health. That gives you and your doc enough time to fully discuss bone health issues. Next there is the full panel of tests: DXA, VFA, CBC, CMP, TSH, PTH, and 25-hydroxy Vit D level. Finally, there is FRAX.
Cedar Valley Bone Health Institute of Iowa is growing. Added staff and increased hours accomodates increased numbers of patients. New programs will roll out in early 2014. BoneDocBlog.com now exceeds 250 posts over 3 years.
Adding Nurse Practitioner Katie has expanded our hours to full days. Working together we can see more than twice as many patients. She is covering most of our return visits and doing lots of patient teaching.
Medical Assistant Kim joined in October. She has quickly learned the details of DXA and VFA. Kim also completes most of our patient intake and deals with pre-authorizations.
Receptionist Shari is managing scheduling, initial patient intake, and the ever increasing electronic “paperwork”. She is the familiar face to our established patients.
I have finally found an aspect of our mandated Electronic Medical Records that I like. We now print detailed Patient Instructions along with a Clinical Summary to give to each patient before they leave the office.
More about our new programs as they roll out over the next few weeks.
Let us assist you on the road to better Bone Health.
Jay Ginther, MD
Family is one of the pillars of “The Blue Zones”. We started with my wife’s extended family gathering at our home this year. Each of her siblings had grandchildren in attendance. The Santa thing was the only time we did not have total chaos among the youngest generation.
The next morning our daughter and her husband headed back to prepare for Christmas at her house without three year old RJ “the Tornado”. He stayed with us. I took him to the Phelps Youth Pavilion for over 2 hours, which left us both in need of a nap. The next day Grammy helped RJ make his special banana bread. (Only RJ, Grammy and Uncle Alex can make special banana bread.)
We arrived in Minneapolis in time for Christmas Eve service. RJ and Gwen shared their mother’s lap, briefly. Christmas Day included in-laws and the highlight for all. Enticed by crinkly paper, 6 month old Gwen crawled for the first time – over ten feet in all. Mama beware, she’s mobile!
Home Alone again after a 5-day whirlwind, we are exhausted. And happy. We can’t wait to see them again.
Jay Ginther, MD
Recently a patient finished her half hour visit by saying, “so there is nothing you can do for me”. We had discussed Low Bone Mineral Density (BMD) on her DXA; Vertebral Compression Fractures on her VFA; correcting her Diet – Low in Calcium, Vitamin D3 and Protein; Cutting Down her Smoking; back extension Exercises; and possibly Medications that could reverse her Clinical Osteoporosis. None of these interested her.
She was not interested in what she could do to prevent future fractures. She wanted me to “delete” her current Fragility Fracture and the problems she was having from it. She did not believe that she has clinical osteoporosis. She did not believe she is at risk for future fractures. She certainly did not believe that she should be expected to take any action to help herself.